Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Practical SQL Handbook - demo script for postgreSQL

From: Bruce Stephens <bruce(at)cenderis(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Practical SQL Handbook - demo script for postgreSQL
Date: 1998-04-27 19:19:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:

> Don't know how or if we want to proceed with a bare "NULL" clause.
> Should we bother with a special case of _only_ NULL in a
> declaration, as in Bruce's patch?

My patch is clearly wrong. The NULL should be parallel to NOT NULL,
and ought just to be ignored (since NULL is the default). I think
it's worth doing (as the book says, NULL may not be the default on
your system, and anyway, it's always better to specify just for
clarity).

I think explicitly specifying NULL is probably good practice, so it
should be supported.