Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-general"(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /
Date: 2003-11-25 02:58:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
Clinging to sanity, Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca> mumbled into her beard:
> Aside from that, I don't see how the individual actions of one
> organization that has been charging for open source software can
> possibly reflect on all those projects which are totally free

It most certainly would, in InfoWeek, and other such "sources of
journalism" which happen to get read by a whole lot of Pointy-Haired
Boss types.

The point isn't of how YOU see it, but rather of how it would be seen
by the people that make budget decisions based only on a minimal
understanding of technical matters and a liberal dose of whatever they
see in Gartner reports and other weekly 'rags.'  For better or worse,
that perspective has a good deal of influence.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spiritual.html