Re: Postgres on Solaris 10

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres on Solaris 10
Date: 2004-06-01 02:21:51
Lists: pgsql-general
The world rejoiced as malebox4spam(at)yahoo(dot)com (Phil Berman) wrote:
> Does anyone know if Postgres runs/will run on Solaris
> 10?  If not, will it be released for that OS?

At some point, probably.  It would be surprising for version 10 to be
_so_ incompatible with its predecessors that PostgreSQL would be
totally broken there.

But Sun seems to still be in the "preparing to release it" phase; it
will be tough to predict what happens before release.  And it's not
evident that version 10 is necessarily something to jump to quickly.

-> If it's not much different from Solaris 9, then there's likely
   little value to leaping to 10 quickly;

-> If it _is_ terribly different, then there's a significant risk
   in being an 'early adopter.'
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/advocacy.html