Re: Sixth Draft

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sixth Draft
Date: 2004-09-02 04:19:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Oops! josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> Tablespaces:  This feature, also funded by Fujitsu, allows the database
> administrator to choose which filesystems are used for schemas, tables,
> and indexes.  This allows the administrator to place whole databases on
> separate disks to improve performance.

s/This allows the administrator to separate different parts of their
  data onto separate disks to improve performance./

The choices go further than merely "whole databases."

> Improved Memory and I/O usage: With this release of PostgreSQL, disk
> input/output subsystems have been improved to use shared buffers
> more effectively, yielding significant increases in speed and
> performance.

"ARC" should be mentioned, as an acronym, if nothing else, and the
expectation isn't always to increase speed, but to reduce performance
variations.  Mind you, I have high hopes for the attendant
improvements to the handling of vacuuming...

> - PostgreSQL added to its roster of stored procedure languages with
> PL/PerlNG and PL/PHP which were sponsored by consultancy Command Prompt,
> Inc. as well as PL/Java and the .Net provider Npgsql.

  There has been a bit of "kibbutzing" over mentioning Npgsql here;
  since this is the way of supporting .Net, and we're already
  mentioning langages, while the fit isn't _perfect_, better here than
  anywhere else.  We can save words by mentioning it here...

> PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD-style license, which due to its
> lack of licensing fees allows corporate and individual users more
> flexibility than the competition.

I think this needs to be "aimed better," as that may allow it to
strike more avians...  This is a line longer, but it says quite a bit

  PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD-style license, eliminating the
  confusion associated with "multiple license" models.  The licensing
  arrangements allow all sorts of flexible uses by both individual and
  corporate users, all free of license fees.
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
Jury  -- Twelve  people  who  determine which  client  has the  better