Re: Sixth Draft

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sixth Draft
Date: 2004-09-02 04:19:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Oops! josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> Tablespaces:  This feature, also funded by Fujitsu, allows the database
> administrator to choose which filesystems are used for schemas, tables,
> and indexes.  This allows the administrator to place whole databases on
> separate disks to improve performance.

s/This allows the administrator to separate different parts of their
  data onto separate disks to improve performance./

The choices go further than merely "whole databases."

> Improved Memory and I/O usage: With this release of PostgreSQL, disk
> input/output subsystems have been improved to use shared buffers
> more effectively, yielding significant increases in speed and
> performance.

"ARC" should be mentioned, as an acronym, if nothing else, and the
expectation isn't always to increase speed, but to reduce performance
variations.  Mind you, I have high hopes for the attendant
improvements to the handling of vacuuming...

> - PostgreSQL added to its roster of stored procedure languages with
> PL/PerlNG and PL/PHP which were sponsored by consultancy Command Prompt,
> Inc. as well as PL/Java and the .Net provider Npgsql.

  There has been a bit of "kibbutzing" over mentioning Npgsql here;
  since this is the way of supporting .Net, and we're already
  mentioning langages, while the fit isn't _perfect_, better here than
  anywhere else.  We can save words by mentioning it here...

> PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD-style license, which due to its
> lack of licensing fees allows corporate and individual users more
> flexibility than the competition.

I think this needs to be "aimed better," as that may allow it to
strike more avians...  This is a line longer, but it says quite a bit
more.

  PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD-style license, eliminating the
  confusion associated with "multiple license" models.  The licensing
  arrangements allow all sorts of flexible uses by both individual and
  corporate users, all free of license fees.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/oses.html