Re: vacuum full 100 mins plus?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum full 100 mins plus?
Date: 2004-07-15 02:21:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com (Patrick Hatcher) wrote:
> Answered my own question. I gave up the vacuum full after 150 mins. I was
> able to export to a file, vacuum full the empty table, and reimport in less
> than 10 mins. I suspect the empty item pointers and the sheer number of
> removable rows was causing an issue.

In that case, you'd be a little further better off if the steps were:
- drop indices;
- copy table to file (perhaps via pg_dump -t my_table);
- truncate the table, or drop-and-recreate, both of which make
it unnecessary to do _any_ vacuum of the result;
- recreate indices, probably with SORT_MEM set high, to minimize
paging to disk
- analyze the table (no need to vacuum if you haven't created any
dead tuples)
- cut SORT_MEM back down to "normal" sizes
--
output = reverse("gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html