Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name
Date: 2011-04-14 18:37:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> rhaas=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION developer_lookup(id integer)
> RETURNS text AS $$SELECT name FROM developer WHERE id = $1$$ LANGUAGE
> sql STABLE;
>
> Now, when this person attempts to recreate this function on a
> hypothetical version of PostgreSQL that thinks "id" is ambiguous, it
> doesn't work.

Unless we make it so that no such version ever exists. Meaning that the
code works fine as is or using WHERE id = developer_lookup.id. AS id
can't ever be the parameter in this case, you're just fine.

Bearing in mind that $1 etc shortcuts still are available, I don't
really see this qualification of parameter names with function names so
big a problem that we should find a way to avoid it and risk breaking
compatibility.

Don't forget that any ambiguity here will mean *huge* migration costs.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine