Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints
Date: 2010-06-10 19:24:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Maybe we could add a new pg_cleanuparchive binary, but we'll need some
> discussion...

Would this binary ever be used manually, not invoked by PostgreSQL? As
it depends on the %r option to be given and to be right, I don't think
so.

Therefore my take on this problem is to provide internal commands here,
that maybe wouldn't need to be explicitly passed any argument. If
they're internal they certainly can access to the information they need?

As a user, I'd find it so much better to trust PostgreSQL for proposing
sane defaults. As a developer, you will certainly find it easier to
maintain, document and distribute.

While at it, the other internal command we need is pg_archive_bypass for
the archive_command so that windows users have the /usr/bin/true option
too.

Regards,
--
dim