Re: Base Backup Streaming

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Base Backup Streaming
Date: 2011-01-02 21:24:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yes, especially since we discussed it in Stuttgart. I guess it may
> have been during the party...

I remember we talked about it, I didn't remember a patch had reached the list…

> Yes, if it should go in any of the current binaries, initdb would be
> the reasonable place, not pg_ctl ;)

Well, pg_ctl is able to call initdb for users, but yes.

> That said, if we're going to wrap pg_streamrecv into 9.1 (which I
> think we should), then *that* is where it should go.

They should at least cooperate so that you don't need to setup WAL
archiving explicitly while preparing the standby, if at least possible.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine