Re: PL/pgSQL examples NOT involving functions

From: Roland Roberts <roland(at)astrofoto(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL examples NOT involving functions
Date: 2001-11-15 21:21:33
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-sql

Josh> Please do not cross-post to multiple lists.

Hmm, there were some complaints recently on the hackers list about
things being posted on only one list. And a significant chunk of the
mail I am getting from lists shows it was posted to more than one
list.

>> How can I write a few lines of PL/pgSQL which do not involve
>> creating a function? I can find no examples of this in the
>> docs, but say I would like to do something like

Josh> You can't. PL/pgSQL, like PL/Perl and PL/Tcl, may only be
Josh> used in functions.

So how would I convert an insert to an update when I detect a tuple is
already present in the database? Do I have to write the whole thing
in Perl/Tcl/whatever and do the conversion there?

roland
--
PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
Roland B. Roberts, PhD RL Enterprises