Glibc2 (was Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...)

From: plh(at)opim(dot)uconn(dot)edu
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Glibc2 (was Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...)
Date: 1998-03-04 07:22:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas> That's good news, but I'm annoyed I haven't been able to get this
Thomas> result myself yet. Did you use the redhat beta rpm for postgres, or
Thomas> did you do a clean install from sources?

clean install from source, that's why I listed the compiler versions and
flags. Isn't that what you've been trying to get it to work?

>> That was with gcc-2.7.2.3, (-O3 -m486), _however_, when compiled with
>> gcc-2.8.0 (-O3 -mpentium), all that nasty time stuff just crept back again,
>> don't know why.
>>
>> BTW, something I'm a bit concerned about -- re: the ``~30 sec deficit'' in
>> regression test timing results you mentioned a couple of days ago -- I'm

Thomas> I ended up convincing myself that most of the time difference was the
Thomas> overhead in compiling with USE_LOCALE turned on. The RH rpm is
Thomas> compiled with it on, and most of my testing is done with it turned

I thought about doing some more testing and possibly tracking it down, and see
whether that was caused by some bugfixes somewhere, but without all the
snapshots from perhaps Feb-20 all the way up to the official release, it's a
bit hard.

-Pailing