Re: Command Triggers

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Command Triggers
Date: 2012-01-13 22:53:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I personally think this is an error and those details should at least be
> available on the c level (e.g. some pg_command_trigger_get_plan() function,
> only available via C) to allow sensible playing around with that knowledge. I
> don't really see making progress towards a nice interface unless we get
> something to play around with out there.

If you target C coded triggers then all you need to do is provide a
pointer to the Node *parsetree, I would think.  What else?

The drawback though is still the same, the day you do that you've
proposed a public API and changing the parsetree stops being internal
refactoring.  The way around this problem is that if you want a command
trigger in C, just write an extension that implements the Process
Utility hook.  Bonus, you can have that working with already released
versions of PostgreSQL.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine