Re: contrib loose ends: 9.0 to 9.1 incompatibilities

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib loose ends: 9.0 to 9.1 incompatibilities
Date: 2011-02-16 21:20:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, actually, we *do* have such a mechanism (plpgsql), we just don't
> want to use it unless we have to. I wouldn't feel too bad about saying
> "upgrading tsearch2 directly from 9.0 to 9.4 requires that you have
> plpgsql installed when you issue the CREATE EXTENSION command".

We will then need "build"-time requires (build-depends would say debian)
so that the system knows what's needed to run the install or upgrade
scripts. I've been thinking that's for 9.2, but maybe that would be a
simpler fix for you here.

Oh and it needs to be able to define plpgsql as such a dependency, so it
will probably need to be an extension…

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine