Re: Why our counters need to be time-based WAS: WIP: cross column correlation ...

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why our counters need to be time-based WAS: WIP: cross column correlation ...
Date: 2011-03-01 08:50:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> The ideal solution would likely be for the stats collector to expose its
> data structures as shared memory, but I don't think we get to do that
> under SysV shmem --- it doesn't like variable-size shmem much.  Maybe
> that's another argument for looking harder into mmap or POSIX shmem,
> although it's not clear to me how well either of those fixes that.

We could certainly use message passing style atop pgpipe.c here, right?

After all we already have a protocol and know how to represent complex
data structure in there, and all components of PostgreSQL should be able
to alleviate this, I'd think.  Or this fever ain't really gone yet :)

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine