Re: 8.2.23 packages?

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.23 packages?
Date: 2012-05-02 19:37:58
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Hi all,

I somehow failed to see activity here and just read the whole thread,
sorry for jumping that late into it.

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 04/16/2012 06:48 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:38, Christoph Berg<cb(at)df7cb(dot)de> wrote:
>>> For the permanent home, I first like to get it more in shape.
>>> Imho, pgapt.debian.net is fine for the moment.
>>
>> If it's not part of a firm, long-term plan, I'm afraid it isn't.
>> Larger customers need to *know* that things aren't going to change
>> again...

+1

I vote for creating and hosting the files mainly at apt.postgresql.org
and having pgapt.debian.net either our developer's site or a mirror.

> I expect demand for this to heat up enough this summer to pull Dimitri back
> into helping with this again; maybe some other people too. I hope that
> pulls enough bodies in to nail down something permanent.

It seems that we are mainly missing two things now:

- a complete build infrastructure with machines, chroots or VMs,
scripts to run all the process

- a team with enough time to actually drive the builds when that's
necessary

Publishing the binaries seems only too well covered as we have already
two servers at two locations that want to do that.

I'm going to see how far I can go on my side to provide for more time
and better organization here, maybe answering (at least in part) those
two items.

> The business case that I expect will fund some of this is backporting the
> extensions added/improved significantly in 9.2, so they're easier to install
> on 9.1. In core extensions and PGXN are all nice, but there's a chunk of
> the market that will want their extensions installed via OS packages
> instead. And that problem crosses over heavily with this one.

Yeah, the real deal is OS level packaging + CREATE EXTENSION. Anything
less is not production grade. Come on we're debian users here, let's not
be shy.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine 06 63 07 10 78