Re: [INTERFACES] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?

From: Eric Marsden <emarsden(at)mail(dot)dotcom(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Zeev Suraski <bourbon(at)netvision(dot)net(dot)il>, Jouni Ahto <jah(at)cultnet(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?
Date: 1998-08-24 14:54:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

(sorry, attributions are lost here)

>>> I am scared about external stuff like php. If they use it, and we
>>> release something that doesn't work with their stuff, we are cooked
>>> until they upgrade.
TL>
TL> But if they are using any direct references to fields of the PGconn
TL> struct, their stuff *already* won't work with 6.4. Admittedly it'd
TL> most likely only take a recompile to fix, and not code changes
TL> (however trivial). But if they'd been using only the documented API,
TL> ie using the accessor functions and not directly touching the struct,
TL> then a new shared library or DLL could be plopped right in without even
TL> a recompile of calling applications.
TL>
TL> Is the PHP source code available? It wouldn't take much work to check
TL> whether it will compile without a definition for struct pg_conn.

The PHP source is available from http://www.php.net/. From a quick
look through it, it does access the PGconn structure directly. Stuff
like (this is from the file php3.0.2a/functions/pgsql.c):

lo_read((PGconn *)pgsql->conn, pgsql->lofd, buf, 8192))

However, the whole PostgreSQL-specific stuff is only 1400 lines worth,
and the PHP guys are reputed to very active, so I don't think a change
should pose too much of a problem if they are forewarned.

[I have CCed the PHP/PostgreSQL module developers]

--
Eric Marsden
emarsden @ mail.dotcom.fr