Re: Getting rid of pg_pltemplate

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting rid of pg_pltemplate
Date: 2011-08-23 19:09:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> We'll add a new boolean parameter to extension control files, called say
> "dba_create" (ideas for better names welcome).  If it's missing or set
> to false, there's no change in behavior.  When it's true, then
>
> (a) you must be superuser or owner of the current database to create the
> extension;
>
> (b) the commands within the extension's script will be run as though by a
> superuser, even if you aren't one.

That's called sudo on linux.  I propose that we stick to such a name.

Do we want a more general SUDO facility in PostgreSQL?  It would be, I
guess, about the same thing as SET ROLE postgres; and you would have to
be granted the rights to “upgrade” to being that role.  I can see how
relaxing the role membership would help in the case of extensions
though, with the behavior you're describing.

Do you see other places where giving sudoer to a database owner even if
he's not in the postgres (or another superuser) role would be useful?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine