Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Date: 2010-10-21 15:12:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> Sure. The reason to do it, though, is so that extension authors can create
> just one metadata file, instead of two (or three, if one must also put such
> data into the Makefile).

That's a good idea, but my guess is that the implementation cost of
supporting the control format in your perl infrastructure is at least an
order of magnitude lower than the cost for me to support your current
JSON file format, so I lean towards you having an automated way to fill
in the json file from the control one...

The Makefile supports $(VERSION) because chances are it's already there
(think packaging or tarball release targets). Having yet another place
where to manually maintain a version number ain't appealing.

In the latest patch, though, the only other thing you find in the
Makefile about the extension is its basename, which must be the one of
both the .control and the .sql files. And it's possible for $(EXTENSION)
to be a list of them, too, because of contrib/spi.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine