Re: converting databases form SQL_ASCII to UTF8

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Geoffrey Myers <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: converting databases form SQL_ASCII to UTF8
Date: 2011-04-30 19:35:00
Lists: pgsql-general
Geoffrey Myers <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com> writes:
> So, now the question is, is this effort even worth our effort?
> What is the harm in leaving our databases SQL_ASCII encoded?

You're declaring bankruptcy on being able to make any sense of the data
you stored.  Is that really what you think you need?

For converting, you might be interested into those two blog entries:

  http://tapoueh.org/articles/blog/_Getting_out_of_SQL_ASCII,_part_1.html
  http://tapoueh.org/articles/blog/_Getting_out_of_SQL_ASCII,_part_2.html

Regards,
--