Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Hartmut Goebel <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-05 20:02:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I don't think "dumps must be human-readable" is an argument to reject
> such a switch, as long as it's off by default. And I haven't seen any
> other valid argument either, so +1 from me.

Well as Bruce said this option won't solve the OP's problem, unless the
application he's using for managing the backups do use the option.

The current solution seems to be to use a packaging system that allows
installing several major versions at any time, and use this ability to
properly migrate data. Hint: debian does just this.

http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=pg_upgradecluster
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/pg_upgradecluster.8.html

Regards,
--