Re: Unique indices and nulls

From: Roland Roberts <roland(at)astrofoto(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unique indices and nulls
Date: 2002-09-11 14:29:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

    Tom> Tell you the truth, my advice is to reconsider the way you're
    Tom> using NULLs.  C.J. Date thinks NULLs are evil and best
    Tom> avoided ... your case may be an example of what he's driving
    Tom> at.

I have reconsidered...the NULLs have to stay, but the index is no
longer unique, it is only on the non-null columns, and is only being
used for select purposes.  Instead, I am enforcing the constraint via
a "before insert" trigger.  Except for loading the table, this table
will have virtually no inserts, so the trigger seems a reasonable way
to go.

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland(at)rlenter(dot)com                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B