Re: 8.2.23 packages?

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.23 packages?
Date: 2012-05-03 15:11:46
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian
> I'm ready to deploy a box for apt.postgresql.org whenever we're ready
> to make some sort of move on it. Perhaps we should do it pre-emptively
> and just not add the DNS alias for it yet :D

Yeah, I think just do it is the right way forward here. Christoph, are
you ok with that URL having a mirror of your current distribution,
basically so that you can break pgapt anytime you want knowing that real
users are using apt.postgresql.org? :)

> If so, do we have *any* estimate on amount of disk space? We can
> expand as we need, but we need to make sure we put it on a box with
> ample host disk space in the first place...

Christoph? :)

>>  - a complete build infrastructure with machines, chroots or VMs,
>>   scripts to run all the process
>
> Yeah.
>

>>  - a team with enough time to actually drive the builds when that's
>>   necessary
>
> And a team to build said infrastructure ;)

I see you're volunteering. I know Christoph has some hand prepared VMs
to do the builds on, and I've been trying to automate using either
chroots or pbuilder images but failed both way. I didn't have as much
time as I wanted to though, so I guess it's not a dead-end.

> If we can put together a well broken-down list of what we need done,
> and a basic location for diong those things, I can contribute to do
> some of the work on that as well. I'm no expert in debian packaging,
> though I've done it a fair bit for simple stuff, but I can certainly
> help to chew away at small items. It's also something that I can do
> "during work hours", since we have numerous customers using these
> systems that would be very happy to see this resolved...

See if you can script the build setup maintenance, that needs to be able
to:

 - clone and review https://github.com/dimitri/apt.postgresql.org
 - note that you're register as a contributor there now
 - have build envs for lenny, squeeze, testing, sid
 - add in ubuntu releases such as natty, oeniric and following
 - automate building of all PG packages from Christoph in there

When you're able to build the VM/chroot/whatever then build the 5
PostgreSQL versions we want in there, then it's getting interesting.

 - automate build of all PG extensions in each environment
 - move the packages into a public testing place

Then maybe we should have some basic testing, but that's a later step.

I'd like for Christoph to comment on those items before to add them at
any wiki like reference place.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine