Re: pg_dump --split patch

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, dmitry(at)koterov(dot)ru, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Wilson <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --split patch
Date: 2011-01-03 20:15:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have to admit I'm a bit unsold on the approach as well. It seems
> like you could write a short Perl script which would transform a text
> format dump into the proposed format pretty easily, and if you did
> that and published the script, then the next poor shmuck who had the
> same problem could either use the script as-is or hack it up to meet
> some slightly different set of requirements. Or maybe you'd be better
> off basing such a script on the custom or tar format instead, in order
> to avoid the problem of misidentifying a line beginning with --- as a
> comment when it's really part of a data item. Or maybe even writing a
> whole "schema diff" tool that would take two custom-format dumps as
> inputs.
>
> On the other hand, I can certainly think of times when even a pretty
> dumb implementation of this would have saved me some time.

You mean like those:

https://labs.omniti.com/labs/pgtreats/wiki/getddl
https://github.com/dimitri/getddl

In this case hacking the perl version was impossible for me to hack on
so my version is in python, but still is somewhat of a fork. I even
have an intermediate shell version somewhere that a colleague wrote, but
I much prefer maintaining python code.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine