Re: Extensions Documentation

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions Documentation
Date: 2012-11-02 14:56:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com> writes:
> Put it into the HTML directory
> (share/docs/html/extensions/$extension.html) and inject its name into
> the TOC.
>
> I'd also be in favor of adding hooks to generate man pages.

Who still use their local copy of the docs (without search ability)
anyway? About man pages, I don't know how many DBA are looking there
when they want to find some documentation.

I think it all gets down to having a local text file installed and a
proper web site to show off the extension's documentation, tutorial,
quick start, etc. A good example of that would be the pgmp extension:

  http://pgmp.projects.pgfoundry.org/
  https://github.com/dvarrazzo/pgmp/

>> That said, if there are things we could put in, e.g., pgxs, to make
>> building documentation simpler, we can discuss that.
>
> Yeah, that would be ideal. But if no one has really thought about how
> to go about it yet…

Well I'm not really seeing how improving the local copy of any
documentation is going to change the habit of people to just use some
online reference with good integrated search facility, or even more
often, $SEARCH_ENGINE.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine