Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg

From: Eric Marsden <emarsden(at)mail(dot)dotcom(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg
Date: 1998-08-12 14:29:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

  TL> The present libpgtcl is NOT pure Tcl --- it is a C-coded Tcl
  TL> extension, besides which it is layered on top of libpq.

This is my impression too: in postgresql-6.3.2/src/interfaces/libpgtcl/
there are C files which reference functions like PQconnectdb. However,
the documentation for libpgtcl states (this is from the top of
postgresql-6.3.2/doc/src/sgml/libpgtcl.sgml)

   pgtcl is a tcl package for front-end programs to interface with
   <ProductName>Postgres</ProductName> backends. pgtcl does not use
   the libpq library but communicates to the backend directly via the
   frontend-backend protocol. Thus, it is more efficient than previous
   postgres->tcl bindings which are layered on top of libpq. In
   addition, pgtcl can handle multiple backend connections from a
   single frontend application.

The documentation looks wrong, or perhaps it is talking about a
development version of libpgtcl? Should I report a documentation bug?

  HK> I've got the impression that there is currently a pure Tcl interface
  HK> as well that some use with pgAccess on win32.

This is ftp://ftp.flex.ro/pub/pgaccess/pgsql.tcl (Tcl interface at the
socket level).

--
Eric Marsden
emarsden @ mail.dotcom.fr