Re: Another swing at JSON

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another swing at JSON
Date: 2011-03-29 14:26:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Done. The new extension interface isn't exactly compatible with the
> old, so I dropped support for PostgreSQL 8.4 from the module. I
> suppose I could maintain a back-ported json module separately.

In fact it is, but there's some history hiding the fact. I'm overdue to
another doc patch on the matter, but it's quite simple.

You don't need to use MODULE_PATHNAME in recent enough versions of
PostgreSQL, meaning any version that's not currently EOL'ed. Just use
$libdir and the backend code will be happy with it. That means you
don't need the .sql.in file either.

You don't need to use the control file property module_pathname either
in most cases, that's only useful if you are building more than one
extension from the same Makefile.

So just use $libdir/json in your json.sql file and be done with it.
Your extension is now compatible with both pre-9.1 and 9.1.

I'm not sure how to spell that in the docs though, any help here would
be welcome. Also, do we want to adapt contrib to be better examples, or
do we want contrib to remain full of its history?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine