Re: Postgresql Books

From: Lars Haugseth <njus(at)larshaugseth(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Books
Date: 2008-12-03 09:11:48
Lists: pgsql-novice
* brucejhyatt(at)yahoo(dot)com (Bruce Hyatt) wrote:

> --- On Sun, 11/30/08, Rita Matildes <rita(dot)matildes(at)oniduo(dot)pt> wrote:
>
> > I am new to Postgresql but not to the database theme
> > actually. So I went through the list of books available but
> > I am in doubt about what book is more adequate from someone
> > starting with Postgresql and who'll need to manage,
> > maintain and "run" a database on Postgresql, on
> > Windows XP. Something almost like a cookbook although I know
> > that DB is everything but a cookbook!
> > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your attention.
>
> In general, I have always had good luck with books from the publisher O'Reilly:
>
> http://safari.oreilly.com/0672327562
> http://safari.oreilly.com/0735711216
> http://safari.oreilly.com/0672322609

Note that the latter couple of books are seriously outdated by now. Quite
a lot have happened since PostgreSQL 8.0 as well, which is the version
that is the basis for the first and most recent of the above books.

I would like to suggest a printed version of the official reference
manual. Information about that and where to get it can be found here:

  http://www.network-theory.co.uk/postgresql/

The official reference manual is also freely available in PDF or HTML
format, thus you'll always have access to the most up-to-date information:

  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

Regards,
--
Lars Haugseth

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
 retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer