Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items
Date: 2000-04-13 07:33:46
Lists: pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Here are the open doc items.  Should we consider ecpg.sgml as up-to-date
> as it needs to be for 7.0?  Can I get someone working on the other
> items, hopefully the authors?

> > New CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and SET CONSTRAINTS commands(Jan)
>
> No man page yet.  Not sure what command SET CONSTRAINT applies to.

    CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER is used from inside of CREATE/ALTER
    TABLE and by pg_dump  to  create  the  special  triggers  for
    referential  integrity. Dunno if we really need a manpage for
    it.

    SET CONSTRAINTS is the SQL3 specified command to  change  the
    default behaviour of constraints WRT deferring in the current
    transaction.

    Syntax is:

        SET CONSTRAINTS {ALL | <constraintlist>} <mode>

        <constraintlist> := comma separated list of deferrable
                            constraint names

        <mode> := DEFERRED | IMMEDIATE

    In deferred mode, the actual check of the constraint is  held
    back  until  either it's mode is explicitly set to IMMEDIATE,
    or until COMMIT.  This is actually only done for foreign  key
    constraints,  so  it  does  not  apply  to  UNIQUE  or  other
    constraints.

Jan