Re: [HACKERS] Re: NOT {NULL|DEFERRABLE} (was: bug in 7.0)

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: NOT {NULL|DEFERRABLE} (was: bug in 7.0)
Date: 2000-02-29 23:52:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> At 02:34 PM 2/29/00 -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> >IMHO, you should be on pgsql-general, not pgsql-hackers, as its obvious
> >that you need *release level* software ...
>
> No problem, I'll unsubscribe.

    NO!

    Your  input  and  code-contribution to the FK project was far
    too important. In  fact,  without  you  FK  would  have  been
    implemented  fundamentally  wrong.  So  I  would  miss you on
    -hackers.

> >If, when we release, you are *still* having problems,please feel free to
> >let us know in a *NON* antagonistic way ...
>
> Save bug reports until release?  OK, if that's what you want.

    It's not wat I want at least.

    Back to the roots. Thomas, from my personal PoV, is a  little
    too much after "do it in the grammar if possible at all". But
    he's the core member to take care about  compliance  and  the
    like.   Hackers  (like me) tend to let go with something that
    works, but it's him to assure the parsers  future  is  great,
    wide  open.  Finally  it's  the mixture in the core team that
    makes Postgres successful, so I'm happy with Thomas having  a
    sharp eye on it.

    In the actual case, we need to see what can be done until 7.0
    release.  If we cannot produce a clean  solution  during  the
    next  weeks,  I'm  sure that "backward compatibility" has the
    higher weight than avoiding my crude  hack  into  the  parser
    (it'll stay for one release only anyway).

    What  I  suggest  is,  take  it  as  it  is. We use to have a
    friendly and nice ground noise in our mailing lists. So  this
    kind  of  discussion, tending to become flame wars, should be
    taken off list at least (IMHO avoided at all, but I'm  farest
    the last person to judge).

Jan