Re: NOT {NULL|DEFERRABLE} (was: bug in 7.0)

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOT {NULL|DEFERRABLE} (was: bug in 7.0)
Date: 2000-02-29 00:28:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>
> >     It's a kludge too, mucking around with a
>
> >         #define yylex() pg_yylex()
>
> >     at the  beginning,  then  later  #undef'ining  it  again  and
>
> Um.  We do *not* insist on bison, and at least one platform that
> I work with would like to keep the option.  Please hold off on this.

    Oh - O.K. - wrong assumption. Interesting if such a construct
    works with other yacc implementations anyway.

> The other alternative that was discussed was to put the onus on
> analyze.c to fix things up.  Basically, we could make NOT DEFERRABLE
> and the other subclauses of foreign key clauses be independent
> clauses from the grammar's point of view; that is,
> [...]

    Yepp, that was the third possible solution we  talked  about.
    No doubt that it is the best one, and something we both wanna
    see at the end. Only that I fear we cannot build it  in  time
    for  7.0  schedule.  Thus I assume we have to live 'now' with
    either Thomas' kludge (as you called it),  restricting  order
    of constraint clauses and introducing unpleasant "Why doesn't
    my query ..." questions, or my crude hack.  From  the  latter
    one,  I  expect  far less rumour because that's restricted to
    ppl NOT using bison BUT touching gram.y.

    At least this one will give us the option to delay the  final
    solution  until  7.1  or  until  we  shuffle  up  the  entire
    parser->rewriter->planner/optimizer->executor path. And  that
    without crippling the syntax from the users PoV.

Jan