Re: [HACKERS] type coerce problem with lztext

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] type coerce problem with lztext
Date: 2000-02-28 07:42:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Added to Features:
> >
> > New lztext data type for compressed text fields
>
> I strongly suggest to not name this new feature. All the attempts to make
> it go away silently in 7.1 will get a blow in the face from this.

I already discovered that this ain't true.

At the time we feature TOAST, we remove LZTEXT and put in a
type alias to TEXT. This way, during a dump/reload upgrade
from any non-toasted to a toasted release, the "backend" will
take care for the silent conversion of table schemas. We can
keep this alias for a faily long time, so external schema
scripts can be modified.

This way, all we have to mention is exactly the above, so
schema writers take it onto their upgrade-checklist, and that
no application query should ever use LZTEXT explicitly (like
in casting expressions). They shall use TEXT instead.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #