Re: [HACKERS] type coerce problem with lztext

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] type coerce problem with lztext
Date: 2000-02-28 07:42:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Added to Features:
> >
> >  New lztext data type for compressed text fields
>
> I strongly suggest to not name this new feature. All the attempts to make
> it go away silently in 7.1 will get a blow in the face from this.

    I already discovered that this ain't true.

    At  the  time we feature TOAST, we remove LZTEXT and put in a
    type alias to TEXT. This way, during  a  dump/reload  upgrade
    from any non-toasted to a toasted release, the "backend" will
    take care for the silent conversion of table schemas. We  can
    keep  this  alias  for  a faily long time, so external schema
    scripts can be modified.

    This way, all we have to mention is  exactly  the  above,  so
    schema writers take it onto their upgrade-checklist, and that
    no application query should ever use LZTEXT explicitly  (like
    in casting expressions). They shall use TEXT instead.

Jan