Bug: inserting

From: kimmol(at)duniversum(dot)com (Kimmo Lahdensivu)
To: bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: kimmol(at)tulppaani(dot)com
Subject: Bug: inserting
Date: 1999-12-16 21:30:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

If PostgreSQL failed to compile on your computer or you found a bug that
is likely to be specific to one platform then please fill out this form
and e-mail it to pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

To report any other bug, fill out the form below and e-mail it to
pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

If you not only found the problem but solved it and generated a patch
then e-mail it to pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org instead. Please use the
command "diff -c" to generate the patch.

You may also enter a bug report at http://www.postgresql.org/ instead of
e-mail-ing this form.

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Kimmo Lahdensivu
Your email address : kimmol(at)tulppaani(dot)com

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : Intel Pentium Xeon III 500MHz x2 SMP

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : Linux 2.2.13 ELF

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.5.2): PostgreSQL-6.5.3

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0) : gcc 2.7.2.3

The problem is that in some situations postgresql doesn't store the data it
receives. So, for example, if I make a normal INSERT statement the row supposed
to appear in the database isn't there. This has happened only in situation
where there are at least 20 tables in the database. The database files are
not corrupted. I made a dump of the database and moved the database to
another system with clean postgresql installation and the same happened
trying to insert to the table.

There was one common thing to all the situations I was unable to insert.
They were made using postgresql library of php3 (3.0.9). There were no
error messages or anything but the data just didn't appear in the db.
I solved this problem quick & dirty way by executing psql from the php
script with the statement as a parameter of it. It worked well but now
I have one table that it doesn't work with. The effect is the same as
with php. Everything seems to be fine but the data isn't there.

I run postmaster in debug mode in one console to see if there was something
worth seeing. The output of the debug was exactly the same in cases where
the data disappeared and when it got stored in the db. No error messages.

The problem has been at least in versions 6.3, 6.4 & 6.5.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below: