Re: Scripts (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Next release is 7.0(?))

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org (Lamar Owen)
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, ser(at)perio(dot)unlp(dot)edu(dot)ar, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Scripts (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Next release is 7.0(?))
Date: 1999-10-15 11:54:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Lamar Owen wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > createlang --> (In my excessively undereducated opinion, this should
> > > be removed. createdb and createuser I can see but
> > > this?)
> >
> > Yes, remove. What is that doing there. Jan's plpgsql doesn't use it. :-)
>
> Used by regression test script. No reason the script can't inline the
> createlang script's code, though.

That script was the result of some longer discussion about
"installing PL/pgSQL by default (initdb) or not" which
resulted from some problems with the location of the language
handler object.

Some people like to have one or the other language in
template1, so it will automatically be there after createdb.
Others like to install individual PL's per database.

What I see from your comments above is, that you don't use
procedural languages at all. But that's not a good reason for
making it harder for others to gain access to these
languages.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #