Re: [INTERFACES] parser: parse error at or near... with create table

From: "D'Arcy" "J(dot)M(dot)" Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas Lockhart)
Cc: Magnus(dot)Mengelbier(at)clinicaldatacare(dot)com, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] parser: parse error at or near... with create table
Date: 1999-07-30 16:41:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Thus spake Thomas Lockhart
> >         create table "asdfs" ("fds" serial   NOT NULL )
> By definition, the SERIAL type is NOT NULL, so I didn't bother
> allowing that clause in the parser. If you would like to see this
> feature documented, send patches on docs/src/sgml/datatype.sgml. Or
> maybe we should allow it, but it *is* redundant ;)

Given that serial is currently a hack and we plan to implement a real
serial type, we should consider what the real type will do.  Is it
still going to be special?  Will it act exactly as it does now?  Once
we determine that then we just make the parser accept what it will
need to accept then so that people can write their queries the way
they will have to then.

I guess the main question is, will we allow the serial type to be NULL.
If not will we allow the NOT NULL phrase anyway to simplify the grammar.
If yes to either then let's allow the phrase now.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net>   |  Democracy is three wolves