Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL LOGO (was: Developers Globe (FINAL))

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc: clark(dot)evans(at)manhattanproject(dot)com, jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, hannu(at)trust(dot)ee, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, vev(at)michvhf(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, vadim(at)krs(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL LOGO (was: Developers Globe (FINAL))
Date: 1999-03-26 01:10:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Way Cool. (watch out... I'm starting to expect
> > magic from you *smile* )

After all it's still just a bunch of bit's - no magic :-)

> > It seems that the elephant is 'on top of' the diamond, I
> > was wondering if it's possible to make it seem like the
> > elephant is 'inside' of the jewel?

Done. But personally I prefer the first one.

What I try to do is to have the jewel and the elephant
wheighted equally - mean that noone has the majority of the
entire symbol. I can surely cover it up to invisibility in
the jewel, but that's not the target.

> > The opening credits of the pink panther have a
> > cloudy jewel where the pink panther sorta emerges
> > from the cloudy haze inside of the jewel. I guess
> > this is what I had dreamed.

And I understood it that way on first call. But that has some
problems. In the case of the pink panther it's a movie, and
if I remember right the perspective is rotating slowly around
it. If you have a crystal material with a refractional index,
a modelled elephant inside would only become visible if
viewed nearly from the top. Especially in the case of the
wanted little powered by logos, because the elephant must be
big enough to not to shrink down to 3-4 pixels. But then you
don't identify the entire thing any longer as a jewel, it's
just some round crystal, nothing else.

> > I really like the idea of an elephant, but perhaps
> > it could be made less lifelike, more cartoonish.
> > Hmm. That's just a thought.
>
> No no...perfect just as it is!! :)

PostgreSQL isn't a joke. It's IMHO closer to the one I choose
than to flying DUMBO or any other silly one in comic strips.

Never underestimate the power of such a majestic creature! So
never let it look cute and harmless.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #