Re: [HACKERS] Upgrades for 6.4.1

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: hannu(at)trust(dot)ee (Hannu Krosing)
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Upgrades for 6.4.1
Date: 1998-12-18 18:50:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > We've got DOUBLE PRECISION, DECIMAL, and NUMERIC (the latter two are
> > > brain-damaged though)
> >
> > Removed.
>
> If it's brain-damaged should'nt it be justr Replaced instead of Removed

NUMERIC and DECIMAL are identical, but should be different
from INTEGER (what they are in Postgres for now).

All databases share the definition

NUMERIC [(precision [, scale] )]

And NUMERIC (NUMBER in Oracle :-) is defined as a datatype
that uses exact representation of arbitrary precise numbers.
But everyone has different legal value ranges and defaults
for it. The ranges for the precision (number of total
digits) varies from 38 (Oracle) to over 1000 sometimes.

I'll hack around a little on it to see what's possible for
us.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #