Re: [HACKERS] Re: inet/cidr/bind

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: tih(at)nhh(dot)no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo)
Cc: paul(at)vix(dot)com (Paul A Vixie), pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: inet/cidr/bind
Date: 1998-10-11 19:24:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thus spake Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
> > if this is agreeable, i'll code it up and submit it here for testing
> > before i push it out in bind 8.1.3. i really do agree with the
> > functionality we've drifted toward in this type -- if folks want to
> > express the netmask of a host address without getting in trouble for
> > a nonzero host part that's lost during parsing and storage, then
> > they jolly well ought to be able to do that.

OK, I have cobbled up some functions and modified others in inet.c
based on the suggested cidr utility functions. I have made a few
assumptions which I am sure we will have to look at so that everyone
is comfortable with the code. I have added the following new functions.

char *inet_netmask(inet * addr);
int4 inet_masklen(inet * addr);
char *inet_host(inet * addr);
char *inet_network_no_bits(inet * addr);
char *inet_network_and_bits(inet * addr);
char *inet_broadcast(inet * addr);

The difference between inet_network_no_bits and inet_network_and_bits is
that for a.b.c.d/24, the former will return a.b.c and the latter will
return a.b.c/24. I couldn't use inet_network as a name anyway since
it conflicts with something in arpa/inet.h (On NetBSD -current).

If someone will add the necessary entries to the catalogues, I'll
start testing them. I'll post the changes to inet.c and builtins.h
to the patches list. I can't guarantee that they are bug-free yet
but it does compile and shouldn't interfere with anything anyone
else is doing.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves