Re: [HACKERS] RE: [QUESTIONS] The Complete and Ccomprehensive list of Newbie qu

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com (Jackson, DeJuan)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-questions(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RE: [QUESTIONS] The Complete and Ccomprehensive list of Newbie qu
Date: 1998-03-17 07:19:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is this possible?  Or is it already being done?
>
> <a lot snipped>
> <snip>
> > I don't know if tying functions to classes has been added
> > to the TO-DO list.  You may want to post to the hacker list and
> > suggest
> > it.
> >
> Access to the function would then be gained by calling them through the
> class. (i.e. select EMP.totalPeople();, or update CORPEMP set
> CORPEMP.totals = DIVEMP.totalPeople();)
> Just an OO thought.  (*ahhhh* It's that concurrency/data-hiding/coupling
> thing again.)
> Then one could disallow select/update on a table but all execute on
> specific functions.  I do realize that this can be accomplished through
> triggers, but this has other potentials...

    Currently, we don't have ACL's on functions. But at least for
    the ones  called  by  ExecMakeFunctionResult(),  this  really
    makes  sense  as  soon  as  we implement a uid/euid model for
    function/view execution.

    The uid/euid for functions, triggers and views is already  on
    my  personal  TODO  and  I hope to make it for 6.4, so we can
    offer  view  and  function/trigger  creation  (restricted  to
    trusted languages) to ordinary users.

    When  adding  ACL's  to  functions,  I think the ACL's at all
    should be moved into a separate catalog, containing the  Oid,
    owner and the ACL.

Jan