Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...
Date: 1998-03-04 04:31:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Thus spake Andrew Martin
> > Of course it is.  It has direct lineage back the Bell Labs.  There is
> > no AT&T code left in but you can most definitely say "BSD Unix" where
> > you can't say "Linux Unix."  For many years Berkeley was the main
> > development hotbed for Unix.  In fact, BSD was eventually fed back
> > into SVR4.
>
> 'fraid it isn't. Unix is a trademark and can only be applied to systems
> which the trademark owner approves. Just 'cos the code has a certain
> heritage doesn't mean that the current version is approved. There is
> a FAQ somewhere which discusses all the issues - I forget the details.

Sure, sure.  It isn't Unix if there's a liar^H^H^Hawyer in the room
but we know who it's parents are.

> > BTW, which version of Linux was Posix certified and who paid for it?
> It was Linux-FT - I believe the company producing it is now defunct :-(

Figures.  Perhaps they should have spent their money elsewhere.  I don't
know anyone personally who is really impressed with Posix certification.
Those who really understand know that it is meaningless and those that
don't could care less.  There's only a small constituency somewhere in
the middle there that think it is important and they aren't buying
anything that has any hint of "free" about it.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net>   |  Democracy is three wolves