Re: Remaining Streaming Replication Open Items

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remaining Streaming Replication Open Items
Date: 2010-04-14 08:32:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> We have the emode_for_corrupt_record() function that's used in all the
> errors that indicate a corrupt WAL record, that's a perfect place to
> hook this into. See attached patch.

One problem of the patch is that even if the content of error message
is different from the past, it would be skipped when the location of
invalid record is the same of the past. For example, if there is a
partially-filled unbroken WAL file in the standby, the following
message would be written:

    record with zero length at %X/%X

Then if you drop corrupted WAL file into pg_xlog, the following message
might have to be output, but would be skipped:

    invalid magic number %04X in log file %u, segment %u, offset %u

But I think that we might be able to live with the issue since it's
a very corner case.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao