Re: Unicode is not UTF-8. was :psqlODBC-Driver Test / text

From: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode is not UTF-8. was :psqlODBC-Driver Test / text
Date: 2006-03-31 19:12:13
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Johann Zuschlag <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de> writes:

> I've read about the problems with the NULL bytes on Unix machines.

This problem is not related to Unix at all but to the programming
language used. Most standard C functions use the zero byte convention
as a string terminator, so it becomes a forbidden character in C.

On the other hand String objects in C++ and Java use a separate length
field, and having NULLs inside a string is a no brainer there.

The ODBC API has been designed for C and Cobol. Cobol does not forbid
zero as a character either. When browsing the ODBC spec you'll notice
it carefully caters for the two ways.

Guess which programming language is used PostgreSQL.

I suspect unicode does not care at all about this. After all unicode
is just about characters not about strings.