Re: Limit vs setMaxRows issue

From: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limit vs setMaxRows issue
Date: 2006-07-10 08:51:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> No, it would take a protocol change to add such a thing out-of-line
> (that is, not as a LIMIT clause in the query text). The reason is that
> the planning is done at PARSE time, or at the latest BIND time. The
> row limit field in the EXECUTE message comes far too late to affect the
> query plan.

If planning is done at time of creation of the PreparedStatement
object (reminder: the example given above has no parameters), then the
setMaxRows() call will come too late whatever is the protocol change.
I mean: no protocol change can go back in time and "optimize" by not
doing useless work already done.

Thanks in advance for pointing out my mistake(s) here.