Re: How to fast the REINDEX

From: raghavendra t <raagavendra(dot)rao(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to fast the REINDEX
Date: 2010-03-31 21:33:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the update,

>>What does the table look like? What indexes are there?
Table has a combination of byteas. Indexes are b-tree and Partial

>>Why are you doing that?
Our table face lot of updates and deletes in a day, so we prefer reindex to
update the indexes as well overcome with a corrupted index.

>> How long?
More than 4 hrs..

>>What run time are you expecting?
Less than what it is taking at present.

>>It's hard to answer that without more information, like PostgreSQL
>>version and configuration, for starters. See:
version
PostgreSQL 8.4.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44), 32-bit
(1 row)

>>http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions
Expected the performance question..