Re: partioning tips?

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Richard Yen <dba(at)richyen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: partioning tips?
Date: 2010-05-05 21:31:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Because it's policy" is rarely a good design decision :-) Lose the FK
constraints, and make up for them with integrity checking queries.

I just did a major refactor and shard on our PG schema and the performance
improvement was dramatic ... a big plus for PG, if it is e.g. time-series
data is to shard by time and make the tables write-once. The same applies to
any record id that doesn't get re-used. PG doesn't do in-place record
updates, so tables with lots of row changes can get order-fragmented.

If not, also check out the "cluster table on index" command.

Cheers
Dave