Re: From TODO, XML?

From: jgray(at)beansindustry(dot)co(dot)uk
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: From TODO, XML?
Date: 2001-07-30 14:33:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
In article <200107300319(dot)f6U3JGY24953(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,
pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian) wrote:

> The updated TODO item is:
>
> 	* Add XML interface:  psql, pg_dump, COPY, separate server (?)
>
> I am unsure where we want it.  We could do COPY and hence a flag in
> pg_dump, or psql like we do HTML from psql.  A separate server would
> accept XML queries and return results.
>
> What do people want?

I am interested in the side suggested by "separate server" -namely the
extent that pg can provide a high-performance, transactional document
store with good query capabilities.

On the other hand, "high-performance" and "transactional" are not
especially necessary for my current work, so I'm looking at query
capabilities at present (thus the parser interface code I've done to
date). It's also worth pointing out that we (Azuli) are not working for a
very big market, so maybe best not to launch a huge project on account of
my peccadilloes with XML :)

--

John Gray
Azuli IT