Re: Migration from MySQL to PostgreSQL : Datatypes?

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migration from MySQL to PostgreSQL : Datatypes?
Date: 2010-12-25 07:17:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 2010-12-23, Bill P. <maxarbos(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> --0-1401805872-1293124338=:85107
>
> Hello,
>
> What would be the best way to deal with migrating a database structure and data
> from a mysql db to postgres when there are dataypes in the mysql tables that are
> not present, and thus throw errors using the current migration wizard, in
> postgres?
>
> If i leave these few tables out on first import, many of the other tables that
> these few key back to dont get created either.
>
> I found a program called easyfrom, but it's over $200 and only runs on windows.
> Navicat, which i have, doesnt seem to have any provision to change the datatypes
> on structure sync from one to the other types of db.
>
> Any suggestions would be great.
> thanks.

when I had to migrate an (mdbtools) Access dump. I was able to do all
that was needed using sed.

(But if you don't speak regex that's probably not going to work for
you, it should be equally possible with any general purpose
programming language)

Is there any sort of guarantee, for that $200 tool, paying for it
might be better than reinventing your own. That translator will
probably work fine under wine. Ask the vendor, if they don't know,
offer to test it for them: you might get a discount!

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural