How to achieve sustained disk performance of 1.25 GB write for 5 mins

From: Eric Comeau <ecomeau(at)signiant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to achieve sustained disk performance of 1.25 GB write for 5 mins
Date: 2010-11-17 14:26:56
Lists: pgsql-performance
This is not directly a PostgreSQL performance question but I'm hoping
some of the chaps that build high IO PostgreSQL servers on here can help.

We build file transfer acceleration s/w (and use PostgreSQL as our
database) but we need to build a test server that can handle a sustained
write throughput of 1,25 GB for 5 mins.

Why this number, because we want to push a 10 Gbps network link for 5-8
mins, 10Gbps = 1.25 GB write, and would like to drive it for 5-8 mins
which would be 400-500 GB.

Note this is just a "test" server therefore it does not need fault
tolerance.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: J. RoeleveldDate: 2010-11-17 15:25:02
Subject: Re: Query Performance SQL Server vs. Postgresql