Re: Function to spell out a number

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function to spell out a number
Date: 2010-11-07 12:10:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 2010-11-04, lists(at)kambanaria(dot)org <lists(at)kambanaria(dot)org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I've checked the manual and a bit online but could not find this:
> Is there a provided function to spell out numbers in Postgres?

yes, cash_words(), it's deprecated.

> (in different languages if possible.)

not sure about that.

> For example:
> to_words(1234) => 'two hundred and thirty four"
> Kind regards:
> al_shopov

CREATE FUNCTION to_words(num integer) RETURNS text
AS $$
DECLARE
str TEXT;
BEGIN
str=cash_words(num * ('1.0'::money));
str=REPLACE(str,' dollars and zero cents','');
str=REPLACE(str,' dollar and zero cents','');
RETURN lower(str);
END;
$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

the type 'money' is deprecated, and the string 'dollar'
may be locale dependant so it's probably a bad idea to
do this. This is probably why cash_words is not
mentioned in the 8.4 manual.

http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4j/com/ibm/icu/text/

May be a better approach, but you'll still need find/write
rulesets, and figure out how to call it from postgres.

if this is for printing cheques just listing the digits
is acceptable in my exerience

to_words(1234) => 'one two three four'

this can done using repeated (or nested) replaces.

--
ɹǝpun uʍop ɯoɹɟ sƃuıʇǝǝɹ⅁