Re: TEXT columns should indentify as java.sql.Types.CLOB

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TEXT columns should indentify as java.sql.Types.CLOB
Date: 2010-08-16 14:52:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kevin Grittner wrote on 16.08.2010 16:28:
> I'm with Oliver. I've developed a lot of highly portable code, and
> *my* assumption would be that a column categorized as Types.CLOB
> would support getClob() / setClob(). That it might or might not
> support getString() seems pretty irrelevant to the issue.
>
> Your argument seems to be that if something behaves like character
> varying without the length limitations of some other database
> products on such types, it should be considered CLOB. I think it
> should be related to whether the CLOB access methods are supported.

You have a point here.

So _if_ the driver were to return Types.CLOB it would need to implement getClob()/setClob() as well.
I still think it would be more consitent, to flag those columns as CLOB but I underst that it would require a lot more work than simply changing the datatype return value.

Regards
Thomas