Re: global temporary tables

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: global temporary tables
Date: 2010-04-25 10:50:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 19:01 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> There is one major problem, though: assigning a
>> scratch relfilenode to the temporary table requires generating an OID,
>> which we currently have no way to allow on the standby.
>
> Why not have an unlogged counter, which resets each system start, using
> same datatype as an oid. There's no necessity for the relfilenode to be
> an actual oid is there?
>
> That way we could use it on standbys also.

I don't think that quite works, because the standby might assign a
relfilenode number for a global temp table and then the master might
subsequently assign the same relfilenode number to a regular table.
We might be able to make that not matter, but it's far from obvious to
me that there are no gotchas there...

...Robert