Re: PostgreSQL with SSL

From: Jose Berardo <joseberardo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martin Münstermann <mmuenst(at)gmx(dot)de>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with SSL
Date: 2010-04-16 15:15:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>>> No.
>
>> I believe that it may be a good idea, it may bring another security level,
>
> Not really.
>
>> Just saving the private key file inside the cluster with no privilegies for
>> other users (the server suggests 0600 mask for it) is still sufficient to
>> protected the key?
>
> If someone can access that file, they can also attach to the running
> server process and pull the decrypted key out of it.  In any case,
> providing the server with the key to decrypt the ssl key is not going
> to be convenient in operation.  You're not going to want to store that
> key on disk are you?  Do you want somebody around to manually provide
> it every time the server restarts?  That gets old pretty fast, when
> all it's buying you is a largely-imaginary security gain.
>
>                        regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom. Your few words were a very elucidative explanation.
I thought that attacking the running server process was much more
difficult than just open a file, and the needs of someone to provide
the symmetric key which will open the private key was just a question
of trade-off (security vs availability).

--
Regards,

Jose Berardo
Especializa Treinamentos